One of my goals for the blog this year has been to post more savoury recipes. Well… let’s just say that I’m failing miserably! It’s not that I don’t love savoury things, it’s just that I love sweet things even more! And so, when there’s a chance to make a cake or a slice, I usually get so excited and all my best-laid plans to make savoury recipes go completely out the window!
But I’m happy to say, that in the last week or so, I’ve been really good. I’ve made lots of yummy savoury snacks that I can’t wait to share with you all. First up, are these healthy Zucchini & Ham Muffins. These are awesome. In fact, they’re almost good enough to make me completely forget about all of the sugary recipes that are calling my name (almost..).
I love that these are super easy to make. Seriously, they’ll only take you 10 minutes to whip up. That’s nothing! My two little tips for perfect zucchini & ham muffins are:
1) Use buttermilk – it will make your muffins beautifully soft and fluffy… do it!! (if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1tbs of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of room temperature milk).
2) Don’t overmix the ingredients – the number 1 reason why muffins turn out tough is because they’ve been over-mixed. Gently mix the ingredients until they’re only just combined.
Pop these into your little ones lunch boxes for the perfect lunchtime snack. They make such a great alternative to the boring old sandwich! If I’m at home, I love to heat these up a little bit, cut them in half and spread some butter over the top. So, so good. The butter goes all melty and gooey and it’s just the best thing ever. I’ve also topped them with with a bit of feta and chutney before, which was absolutely delicious too!
So are you proud of me?? I’m pretty chuffed that I finally got my butt into gear and put a new savoury recipe on the blog! I pinky promise that I’ll try to be good and add lots more during the year (although I can’t promise I won’t be distracted by something involving salted caramel or chocolate pretty soon!).
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 2 medium zucchinis, grated and excess liquid drained off (use 1 and ½ if they're really large zucchinis)
- 125g shaved ham, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- sea salt and pepper to season
- Grease and line a standard 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees if using fan forced).
- Whisk together the buttermilk, oil and eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift the self raising flour into a large bowl.
- Add the grated cheese, ham, grated zucchini, sea salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the top of the flour mix and stir gently.
- Mix until only just combined (over-mixing will lead to tough muffins!).
- Divide the mixture equally between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through (test with a skewer).
- Leave the muffins in the pan to cool slightly, before placing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Grease and line a standard 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees if using fan forced).
3. Grate cheese on Speed 6 for 10 seconds. Set aside.
3. Grate zucchini on Speed 6 for 5 seconds (or until finely grated).
4. Add all remaining ingredients (including the cheese) and mix for 20 seconds, Speed 3, Reverse.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 20 seconds on Speed 3, Reverse.
6. Divide the mixture equally between the muffin cases.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through (test with a skewer).
8. Leave the muffins in the pan to cool slightly, before placing onto a wire rack to cool completely.