I know that we are coming into summer here in Australia, but if you live in Melbourne you could easily be forgiven for thinking it’s nearly winter! We have had a few sunny days where I get all excited thinking it’s warming up and then it rains… and hails… and blows a gale. I’m still hopeful that the beautiful weather is just around the corner, but until then I’m going to sneak in a few last minute soups!
This vegetable and bacon soup is so easy and totally delicious. It is packed full of vegetables, made hearty by the lentils and soup mix and has a beautiful, mild bacon flavour. Mmm I really do love bacon. Sometimes I use a ham hock in this soup, but this time I used shortcut bacon, just to keep it a bit lighter!
And then like any good soup, it’s just a matter of chopping the bacon and onion and sautéing for a couple of minutes, then adding in the chopped vegetables, the soup mix and the stock and letting it work it’s magic. It’s hard to beat the smell of soup simmering on the stove!
One of my favourite things to do is serve this soup with crusty sourdough bread. It’s so good smothered with a bit of butter and dunked in!
So while I really don’t like the cold weather can’t wait for the sun to shine and to be able to start whipping out all my favourite BBQ and salad recipes, until then I’m just going to enjoy the last soup eating opportunities of the year!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices short cut bacon, chopped into small pieces
- ½ red capsicum, chopped
- ½ green capsicum, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- ½ small pumpkin, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock (you may find you need to add more stock as the soup simmers down)
- 1 and ½ cups soup mix, rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop bacon and onion into small chunks.
- Saute bacon and onion in a large pot with the olive oil.
- Chop all of the vegetables into small cubes.
- When the onion softens and the bacon has coloured, add the vegetables and stir.
- Rinse the soup mix and add to the pot.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and turn down to simmer.
- Stir occasionally and leave to simmer until the soup mix has softened and the vegetables have softened.
- Add more vegetable stock if the soup becomes too thick.
- Grind salt and pepper into the soup to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread.